It differs in other types of alopecia, especially from the androgenic (genetic and chronic), in that the telogen is very evident and fast, since a lot of hair falls suddenly, while in the androgenic, the loss is slow and It shows when we see clares in the scalp.
When should we worry?
If we run our hands through our hair several times a day and we have more than fifteen hairs left in our hands, we must begin to worry, although knowing that in the telogen effluvium the hair recovers something that does not occur with the androgenic fall.
There are also other types of hair loss such as alopecia aerata (affects the hair follicle and the hair stops growing), traction alopecia (by pigtails, excessive straightening …) or nervous alopecia (caused by stress or anxious state) You must know to detect precisely what treatment you need.
Main causes of its occurrence
- Postpartum: the level of estrogen increases during pregnancy and usually provides thickness and shine to the hair, but drops after delivery and causes the telogen phase, which generally lasts about three months. Then, in most cases, the hair is recovered usually.
- Alteration of the endocrine system: the thyroid stimulates the hair follicles, and if its function is deregulated, the hair cycles can be altered and cause a diffuse hair loss.
- Menopause: During menopause, the ovaries stop producing estrogens, and that affects follicular strength and can cause fall. Usually, all the density of lost hair is recovered, since as we have said it is temporary and reversible.
Stress or anxiety.
- They accelerate the hair cycle and fall before and quickly.
Sudden blood loss and anemia.
- By lowering hemoglobin, which is responsible for carrying oxygen to the tissues, hair bulbs do not receive enough oxygen and hair die and falls.
- The lack of some nutrients and vitamins causes the hair to weaken, and if it is very drastic or an eating disorder occurs, such as anorexia, the fall occurs.
What kind of treatments exists to address it?
Treatments for telogen effluvium are different depending on their origin. In the case of postpartum, it is best to strengthen the hair with a diet rich in vitamins B and E and the use of a fortifying shampoo.
In cases of stress or anxiety, it is essential to treat this condition to stop the fall as if it is an improper diet, an eating disorder, or an alteration of the endocrine system.
During breastfeeding, we can use natural shampoos that are nutritious and strengthening and maintain a healthy and balanced diet. We should not use ampoules or any vitamin supplement that should be taken under medical prescription or pharmaceutical advice. The shampoos that we can use after breastfeeding are those that contain aminexil, such as Dercos de Vichy or Martiderm antacids, or minoxidil, such as Pilexil Anticaida, Minoxidil from Viñas laboratories, or Lacovin de Galderma.
How can we help you from the pharmacy?
In the pharmacy, we can advise a person who has telogen effluvium in its three phases:
- In the diagnosis. We observe the scalp with a capillary diagnostic reader, and we have a personalized interview to know from when it falls, how much, if you have any problem like the one mentioned above or if you have just given birth.
- Prevention. Telogen effluvium is caused by some factor that is inevitable in itself: Postpartum, thyroid, and even stress and anxiety. We can prevent stress and anxiety if we tend to do so and have an early diagnosis of the thyroid through medical check-ups and a healthy and balanced diet to prevent anemia or iron loss.
- Do not forget in your diet:
- – Vitamin E: promotes hair growth, improves blood flow, and stimulates sebum production in the scalp, and this makes us have more hydrated and shiny hair.
- – Vitamin B is essential for hair growth, acts on the hair follicle, and makes you fat by preventing hair from continuing.
- In the treatment. We recommend a fortifying shampoo, such as Forticea de Rene Furterer, and Anaphase de Ducray, in addition to ampoules or vitamins rich in iron and vitamin B, such as Quinoral, Klorane, or Lambdapil Hairdensity, from Isdin, with vitamin C and B6, biotin, L-cystine, copper, silicon and iron. Also, we will take into account your lifestyle and hair hygiene habits to be able to advise you the best products.
Remember that we are at your disposal 365 days a year, from 9 am to 10 pm to analyze your problem and give you what is best for you.